- Acceptance Letter UUA
- Articles of Incorporation
- Communication Policy
- Disruptive Behavior
- Finance Policy
- Membership Policy
- Mission Statement
- Pet Policy | Form
- Reimbursement Policy
- Sunday Services
- Vision Statement
Mountain Light Unitarian Universalist Church
This earlier version was approved by the congregation on 2009 May 24.
Article I. Name.
The name of this congregation shall be Mountain Light Unitarian Universalist Church, Inc.
Article II. Purpose.
The purpose of this congregation shall be to establish, maintain, and house a congregation dedicated to the principles and purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association and to provide a spiritual home for religious liberals.
Article III. Membership.
- Membership Requirements. Each new member is expected to sign a statement in the membership book, agreeing to support the principles and purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association, including its policy that we welcome into membership all persons without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, or national origin; and to give financial support and to participate in the programs and work of the Congregation.
- Charter Members. Members who joined the congregation on or before Charter Sunday shall be designated as Charter Members.
- Termination of Membership.
- Withdrawal from membership may be made by request to any member of the Board.
- The Board shall update the voting membership roll by December 31 annually.
- The Board, by a two-thirds majority, may vote to terminate a person's membership when that person's actions are contrary to the purposes and program of this congregation and of the UUA. Such persons must be given written notice of the termination, and reasons therefore, not less than fifteen (15) days in advance and must be given the opportunity to be heard, orally or in writing, by the Board, not less than five (5) days before the effective date of such termination.
- Reinstatement of Membership. An inactive member may be reinstated to active membership thirty (30) days after resuming attendance and financial support.
Article IV. Denominational Affiliation.
This congregation shall be a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association and of the Mid-South District and shall support those organizations to the Fair Share level whenever financially possible.
Article V. Board of Directors (The Board).
- Governance. The Board of Directors shall be composed of seven (7) members: four (4) Officers, and three (3) Directors at Large.
- The Board of Directors shall develop administrative policy, is accountable for the business affairs of the congregation, and is the trustee of the property of the congregation.
- The Board shall make policies that are consistent with, and help to further the congregation's mission.
- The Board is charged to serve the will of the membership and reports to the congregation.
- The Board may appoint or dissolve teams, except the Leadership Development Team, to accomplish the work of the congregation. It is the responsibility of the board to monitor the work of the teams.
- The Officers and Directors at Large for the upcoming year are nominated by the Leadership Development Team, reported to the Board, and voted on by the congregation at the annual meeting.
- Terms of Office. The Officers and the Directors at Large shall serve one (1), two-year (2-year) term, and shall not serve more than one term in the same office (the Directors at Large to be elected alternately as is possible.)
- Meetings. The Board of Directors shall meet regularly and shall announce the time, date, and location of the meetings in the newsletter and in the Sunday Order of Service.
- Quorum. Four (4) members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum, and there will be no proxies at meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Unexpired Terms of Office.
- Unexpired terms of office, other than the President, shall be filled by the Board of Directors at a regular, or called meeting of the Board, Vacancies so filled shall serve until the next annual meeting.
- Director vacancies shall require election of an individual at the next annual meeting to fill the unexpired term, if any.
- Expenditure Authority. The Board of Directors are not authorized to expend more than $500.00 for any unbudgeted expenses or to expend any amount toward property acquisition or to make any commitment to expenditures beyond the current fiscal year without congregation approval.
- The President shall be the principal executive officer of the congregation and shall call and preside at meetings of the Board of Directors, and of business meetings of the membership.
- The president shall appoint team leaders with the exception of the Leadership Development Team, which is elected. (See below)
- Vice President.
- The Vice president shall assist the President, as requested by the President or as authorized by the Board of Directors.
- The vice president shall chair meetings in the absence of the president and assume the duties of the president in the event of a vacancy of the presidency due to resignation, death, or otherwise.
- Secretary. The responsibility of the secretary shall include the following:
- Shall be responsible for minutes of all meetings of the membership.
- Shall be responsible for minutes of Board of Director meetings.
- Shall maintain the office membership records.
- Shall maintain the office minute's book.
- Shall maintain the corporate records of the corporation.
- Shall perform other functions as requested by the President.
- The secretary will present a list of qualified members prior to the annual meeting.
- Treasurer. The responsibility of the treasurer shall include the following:
- Establishing the accounting procedures for the corporation to record all financial activities.
- Establishing and maintaining the bank accounts for the general fund and any other accounts and funds authorized by the Board of Directors.
- Receiving and depositing the funds of the corporation.
- Authorizing the payment of bills for expenses as authorized in the approved budget, or special expenditures approved by the Board of Directors or by the membership of the congregation.
- Filing the annual report and corporation fee with the State of Georgia.
- Signing checks or delegating signing to those approved by the Board.
- Preparing monthly and annual financial reports for the Board of Directors and the membership to be included in the Board's minutes.
- Preparing an annual budget with the Finance Team for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Serving on the Finance Team.
- Filing of any documents required by the association or any legal entity.
Article VI. Leadership Development Team.
- Responsibilities. Members of the Leadership Development Team shall select and announce candidates for the upcoming Board, and three candidates for the Leadership Development Team, as needed, that are voted on by the congregation at the Annual Meeting.
- The Leadership Development Team will be responsible for ensuring leadership succession by providing opportunities, helping members find, and develop their talents and by nominating candidates to office.
- Should a team member be unable to complete a term of service, the President may appoint a member to complete that term.
- Members of the Leadership Development Team serve one-year (1-year) terms and may be re-elected.
Article Vll. Meetings.
- Annual Membership Meeting.
- The annual membership meeting shall be held each year during the month of May or June at the church facility.
- The exact date for this meeting shall be chosen by the Board of Directors.
- Notification of the time, date, and the location of the annual meeting and of the business to be transacted shall be made to the membership at least fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting.
- Notification made by e-mail or fax shall be acceptable in lieu of mailing.
- The annual meeting shall require a majority of the voting members to be present or represented by proxies to conduct any business (quorum).
- Requirements of Voting.
- Voting Members are persons who have been members of record for 30 days or more and have made a contribution of record within the year prior to the annual meeting.
- The Secretary and Treasurer shall prepare a list of eligible voters prior to the annual meeting.
- Requirements of Nominees.
- No candidate shall be nominated from the floor that does not accept said nomination in person or in writing.
- All candidates for office shall be voting members of the congregation, and must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Business of the meeting. The business of the meeting shall include:
- The President's report.
- The Leadership Development Team shall announce the nominees for the Officers and Directors at large for the upcoming Board, and the candidates, as needed, for the new Leadership Development Team.
- Election of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and the Directors at Large (as needed) shall be by majority vote of those authorized to vote in person or by proxy.
- Elections shall be by secret ballot.
- If no contest exists, election may be by voice vote or by unanimous consent.
- Approval of the annual budget.
- Other business as may be required.
- Special Meetings.
- The Board of Directors may call a special meeting of the membership at any time.
- A special meeting shall be called at the written request of twenty-five percent (25%) of voting members.
- Requirements for notice and quorum are the same as for an Annual Meeting (shall require a majority of the voting members to be present or represented by proxies to conduct any business (quorum).
Article Vlll. Delegates.
- Delegates to represent this congregation at the UUA General Assembly and at the Mid-South District shall be appointed by the Board of Directors.
- The number of delegates appointed shall be in accordance with the number specified in the Bylaws of the UUA, and those of the Mid-South District of the UUA.
- Each delegate shall be a voting member of this congregation. Members can serve as delegates to the UUA General Assembly and Mid-South District at the same time.
Article IX. Fiscal Year.
The fiscal year of the corporation shall begin on July 1 and end on June 30.
Article X. Parliamentary Authority.
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the congregation in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws or any special rules of order the congregation may adopt.
Article XI. Amendments.
- These Bylaws may be amended or replaced at any annual or special meeting of the membership.
- The Secretary shall include any proposed Bylaw amendments in the notice to the membership at least fifteen (15) days prior to the annual or special meeting.
- A two-thirds affirmative vote of those members voting shall be necessary.
Article Xll. Dissolution.
In the event of the dissolution of this congregation and corporation, all of its remaining assets shall be conveyed to and vested in Georgia Mountains Unitarian Universalist Church, Inc. in Dahlonega, Georgia. The Board of Directors of this corporation shall perform all actions necessary to affect such conveyance.
I certify that the foregoing is a true and correct copy of the Bylaws of Mountain Light Unitarian Universalist Church, Inc as duly amended by the membership on May 24, 2009.
/S/ Donna Waddell [Board Secretary]